Summer Reading Challenge and Programs
June 9 - August 4, 2018
SUMMER at the Sausalito Library
Between Saturday, June 9, and Saturday, August 4, the Sausalito Library will celebrate reading, imagination, and fun with performances, programs, and the annual Summer Reading Challenge. This year we're having separate programs and challenges for kids 11 years old and younger, and tweens 12-14 years old.
All kids 11 and under are eligible for the Summer Challenge. Challenge participants sign up at the Sausalito Library, and then visit the Library to get prizes for completing activities and reading. Prizes are given for every 3 hours up through 12 hours of reading and completion of four activities: attend a Library program, go on a hike, paint or draw a picture, and send a postcard. There is a separate Reading Challenge for 12-14 year olds.
PERFORMANCES ON THE PATIO
Performances start at 3:30 p.m.
Join us on the Robin Sweeny Patio for magic, music, juggling, jokes and more. Bring a blanket to sit on and get ready to enjoy the show.
Perfect for ages 4+ but everyone is welcome.
- June 12: Magician Spencer Gray Magic, jokes, mystery, and audience participation!
- June 19: Curious Circus with Drea Lusion Acrobatics, humor, clowning, and fun.
- June 26: 3 Billy Goats Gruff from Puppet Art Theater Combining the Tortoise and the Hare with the Three Billy Goats Gruff, this is an entertaining and unique twist on the original tales.
- July 2: Drumming Mayhem with Mika Scott Wild, kid-friendly drumming. We’ll provide all the instruments. Let’s make a ruckus!
- July 10: Bubbles! Back by pop(!)ular demand: join Michael Ashe, the San Francisco Bubble Man, for an effervescent afternoon.
- July 17: Circle of Smiles Acrobats, jugglers, comedians, and more. They’re professional goofballs and they’ll make you smile.
- July 24: Jeremy the Juggler A juggling act that is hilarious, spectacular, interactive, and action-packed.
- August 1: Slater Penney Side-splitting physical theater. End the summer laughing so hard you can barely breathe.
AFTERNOON ADVENTURES in the Edgewater Room
Come by anytime between 3-4:30pm
Children and their caregivers are welcome
- June 13: Building Club: Pie Tins, Legos, Magna Tiles, and More We’ve got a gazillion mini-pie tins and a huge collection of Legos and Magna-Tiles. We have Duplos in the Children’s Room for kids under 3.
- June 20: Musical Instrument Let’s get ready to make some noise! Come make a musical instrument of your own.
- June 27: Drive-In Movie Peter Rabbit (2018, rated PG, 100 min)
- Decorate a ‘car’ at 3:00 p.m.
- Movie starts at 3:30 p.m.
- Come at 3:00 p.m. to decorate your own ‘car’ and stay for the movie and popcorn. In Peter Rabbit, a rebellious rabbit sows chaos in Mr. McGregor’s garden.
- July 11: Building Club: Pipe Cleaners, Legos, Magna Tiles, and More We’ve got piles and piles of pipe cleaners, plus Legos and Magna-Tiles. What can you make? We have Duplos in the Children’s Room for kids under 3.
- July 18: Make a Book of Your Own We’ll help you make a book of your own.
- July 25: Drive-in Movie TBD
- Decorate a ‘car’ at 3:00 p.m.
- Movie starts at 3:30 p.m.
- Come at 3pm to decorate your own ‘car’ and stay for the movie and popcorn.
- August 1: Picnic Popsicles, ice cream, badminton, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and more. Bring a blanket to sit on and come enjoy the sun.
CREATIVITY CLUB in the Exercise Room
3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
For kids 9-11 years old
- June 14: Personalize a Journal Get ready to record your thoughts and memories. We’ll provide the journal and supplies.
- June 21: Buttons We’ve got two button machines. Come make some buttons of your own!
- June 28: Game Day in the Game Room The Game Room is yours for the afternoon: foosball, pool, and more.
- July 5: Decorate a Mug or Plate We’ve got all the supplies you’ll need to customize a mug or plate of your own.
- July 12: Make a Book You love the Library . . . wouldn’t you like to make a book of your own? Join us to learn how.
- July 19: 2nd Annual Sausalito Cupcake Decorating Contest Last year the competition was fierce! Winners will be chosen in two categories: ‘Most Imaginative’ and ‘Most Professional.'
- July 26: LED Robot Plushies with Gogo Crafts You’ll go step-by-step through the process of making and then adding LEDs to an adorable robot plushie. Presented by GoGo Crafts.
- August 2: Game Day and Pizza Party The Game Room is all yours, this time with pizza to keep your energy and spirits high.
YOGA for Preschoolers
Mondays, July 9, 16, 23, & 30
Join yoga teacher, lawyer, and Sausalito mom Carrie Kostiner for this free yoga series for preschoolers and their caretakers. No need to come to every session, join us when you can!
TODDLER STORY TIMES
Mondays, 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
Join Molly for stories, finger plays, songs and laughs! For children 3 and younger and their caregivers
Wednesdays, 9:40 a.m. and 10:40 a.m
Stories, songs, movement, and finger plays. For children 3 and younger and their caregivers.
Get prizes for every three hours you read and then, after reading for 12 hours, keep reading for additional prizes after 20 hours, 30 hours, and 40 hours of reading. How much can you read?
We've made a special Summer Reading BINGO game with activities and reading challenges.
Programs and Events
Mondays, Edgewater Room
3:30-5:00 p.m. (unless otherwise indicated)
For people 12-14 years old
- June 11: Middle School Book Club If you’re in 5-7th grade and love to read, come to the Sausalito Library’s Book Club! Read the book before the meeting and join us for discussion, snacks, and a book-related activity. For our June meeting, we’re reading The Dog, Ray by Linda Coggin. Special time: 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- June 18: Pin It Up! We’ve got two button makers! Come make some pins.
- June 25: Flying Books Well, they don’t really fly, but they do have wings. Bring your soaring imagination.
- July 2: Sun Prints Leaves, widgets, flowers, string . . . use objects and the sun to create prints on fabric or paper. The results are strange, beautiful, and unique.
- July 9: Make a Book We’ll have tools and techniques to share.
- July 16: Candy Sushi Learn how to make ‘sushi’ from candy!
- July 23: Decorate the YA Area The YA books are moving downstairs! Help decorate the space with your DIY skills. We’ll have supplies and some ideas, but it’s your space, let’s make it special.
- July 30: Decorate the YA Area, Part 2 Sometimes DIY activities take more than one week. Come help finish it up, or if you missed the first week, get something started.
All programs paid for by the Friends of the Sausalito Library